Subject: iMac DV installation woes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Howard <ahoward@sagan.usc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/17/2001 11:46:11
Hi folks:

I was hoping you might have some advice for a NetBSD (and
Mac) newbie.  I have been trying to install NetBSD 1.5 on my iMac DV
(OF 3.0 with latest firmare), but I have been unable to successfully boot
an installation kernel.  I have tried a number of variations, without
success.

Variation 1: As per the installation notes, I tried booting
the (unzipped) netbsd.ram.gz kernel from an HFS+ partition.  OF seems to
find the file, but bombs out with a "CLAIM failed" error.

Variation 2: As an experiment, I tried copying the netbsd.macppc kernel
found in the root directory of the iso-cd images to an HFS+ partition.
This will boot, but it stops and asks me for the root fs.  Since I dont
have a root fs, I can only assume that this is not an installation
kernel.  If I continue with this installation, it will bomb out with a
"panic: no init" error.

Variation 3: I also tried starting the bootloader ofwboot.elf from an
HFS+ partition, then getting the bootloader to load the netbsd.macppc
kernel from an iso-cd.  This produces the same results as (2) (no
surprise).

Since (1) doesnt work, does this mean that my only option is to create a
bootable ISO/HFS cd?  Alternatively, could I burn a pure ISO cd with
netbsd.ram (instead of netbsd.macppc) and boot this using a bootloader on
an HFS+ partition?

	Any help would be appreciated.

		Andrew