Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 boot
To: David Henderson <davidh@huey.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2001 14:12:29
At 8:53 AM -0800 1/12/01, David Henderson wrote:
>Hello Manuel,
>
> >Hi again,
> >Its floppy drive is dead so I have to boot from cdrom.
> >I used the macppccd.iso image from pub/NetBSD/misc (it's bootable, rigth ?)
> >I'm also playing with a performa 5400/160 (which should be supported :).
>
>Well, when I downloaded it and started to burn it using Toast, Toast
>claimed it was a hybrid ISO/HFS CDROM. This species isn't advertised to
>work with any firmware younger than version 3,0, which comes with late
>model mac's. I made my own.

I don't think the details were posted to the list, but I think that
problem was ironed out.  There is a lot of black magic in getting the
Apple Partition Map right so OF can find things and not get confused.

I know what the install docs say and I also think some hand tweaks
were made to the iso image on ftp.netbsd.org.  I admit I haven't
tried it myself since it's pretty easy to burn pure ISO 9660 disks
that work on OF 1.0.5.

>P.S.-
>By the way, scsi device 3 is usually the CDROM drive on Apple Mac's. You
>are booting from device 0. Is this what you want to do?
>
>Also, I found that setting load-base and real-base was essential to success.

What he said ;-)

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.