Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 boot
To: David Henderson <davidh@huey.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2001 18:00:34
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:53:10AM -0800, David Henderson wrote:
> Well, when I downloaded it and started to burn it using Toast, Toast

I burned with cdrecord :)

> claimed it was a hybrid ISO/HFS CDROM. This species isn't advertised to
> work with any firmware younger than version 3,0, which comes with late
> model mac's. I made my own.
>
> Procedure:
>
> 1: Make sure Fetch is in Binary mode (These are mostly Unix binary files.
> Even text files need to preserve the endline characters because you will be
> reading them on Unix)
>
> 2. use Fetch and Get Files/Directories to get the NetBSD 1.5/macppc pretty
> much in one pass. I had one destination folder called NetBSD15 and macppc
> within it.
>
> 3. There are some files in macppc/binary/sets that Fetch doesn't get
> because they are aliases (symbolic links): misc.tgz, man.tgz and xfont.tgz.
> Make sure they are downloaded.
>
> 4. Put ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.ram.gz on the top level. Because I wan't
> certain of how the firmware would behave, I gunzip'd netbsd.ram.gz on a
> unix machine and placed netbsd.ram on the top level as well. note well:
> These are BINARY files.
>
> 5. Select ISO disk as the volume format within Toast. Drag in your NetBSD15
> folder holding macppc directory. The folder name "NetBSD15" becomes the
> volume name.

Strict ISO ? So I can do one using mkisofs ... My cd writer isn't on a mac :)
Ok, I'm going to try this.

> 6. Make sure you have a strict ISO disk. Using mac names didn't work for
> me. Toast will map all file names into an 8x3 format, and some of them will
> get mangled.
>
> 7. Burn it
>
> An aside: SystemDisk is ineffective on my machine because Apple doesn't
> support Motorola Starmaxen. Using Suntar, I had to write boot.fs to a hard
> drive to get the parition 0 boot loader. I installed on different hard
> drive.
>
> Good luck,

thanks !

> P.S.-
> By the way, scsi device 3 is usually the CDROM drive on Apple Mac's. You
> are booting from device 0. Is this what you want to do?

I'm not sure at all there's something at target 3. A 'ls' in OFW shows
sd@0, not sd@3 ... trying 'boot scsi/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM'
make the system just hang, no messages.

> Also, I found that setting load-base and real-base was essential to success.

I did.