Subject: Re: A question on getting netbsd.ram.gz started on a StarMax 5000
To: David Henderson <David.G.Henderson@technologist.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2001 09:26:28
At 8:28 AM -0800 1/10/01, David Henderson wrote:
>I'm using Toast to burn the CDROM. Because I'm not sure from the
>instructions whether to put a GZIP'd or vanilla netbsd.ram on the top level
>directory I have a CDROM that has both.

That's what I've done.  When I specify an ISO level 1 disk format it
automatically crunches the names to 8.3.  I always go in and make
sure I know what they got changed to.  "installation" I change to
"instlatn", and netbsd.ram.gz to netbsd.gz.  ofwboot knows how to
unpack gzipped kernels BTW.  The main real reason to avoid them is if
you have an OF 3.x machine that can load elf directly, bypassing
ofwboot.

>The dir command from open firmware doesn't work for me. I went back to

Hmmm.  Try adding ",/" to the end?  If it works in 1.0.5 it should
work in your OF 2.x version.

> > From your email you are "pretty close".  There is probably some
> >strange apparently-irrelevant setup in OF that is interfering with
> >the load.  I suggest you try checking/changing all the things you can
> >in the OF setup to see what has an effect (yeah, I know, not a very
> >specific suggestion).
>
>SystemDisk 2.3.1 has no effect; the StarMax/5000 is not supported by Apple
>and I haven't found any other source of firmware updates.

Try using nvedit (inside OF, it's a one-line emacs editor for
nvramrc) to delete *everything*.  After the edit you need to do a
nvsave (or nvstore, I forget) to save the buffer back to nvramrc.
This won't work if you have a G3 upgrade installed in an OF 1.0.5
machine because you need some of the stuff to initialize the CPU, but
I find it a better baseline than what systemdisk provides.  YMMV and
it probably *will* vary on a boot-method by boot-method basis.

Anyone know how to patch systemdisk so it will apply the relevant
patches for the motherboard design used in a non-apple machine?

>Open Firmware, 2.0.2
>To continue booting the MacOS type:
>BYE<return>
>To continue booting from the default boot device type:
>BOOT<return>
> ok
>0 > setenv load-base 600000  ok
>0 > setenv real-base F00000  ok
>0 > boot scsi/sd@1:0 -a
> >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.2
> >> (matt@duel.local, Thu Nov 16 17:26:57 PST 2000)
>Boot: scsi/sd@3:0,NETBSDRA.GZ
>open scsi/sd@3:0,NETBSDRA.GZ: Input/output error
>open scsi/sd@3:0,NETBSDRA.GZ/netbsd: Input/output error
>Boot: scsi/sd@3:0,netbsd.ram.gz
>open scsi/sd@3:0,netbsd.ram.gz: No such file or directory
>open scsi/sd@3:0,netbsd.ram.gz/netbsd: No such file or directory
>Boot: scsi/sd@3:0,NETBSD.RAM
>open scsi/sd@3:0,NETBSD.RAM: Input/output error
>open scsi/sd@3:0,NETBSD.RAM/netbsd: Input/output error

Try partition 1 and 2 as well.  For a plain ISO disk I get the same
results for partition 0 and 1 because 0 defaults to 1, and there
aren't any others on the disk.  Too bad it isn't this simple for hard
disks.  Then we could dispense with installboot and bootxx altogether.

Are you recording a plain vanilla ISO disk with no extensions?  If
it's a Mac/ISO hybrid then it may be looking in the wrong partition
and be unable to read for that reason.  Try rereading the FAQ.  I
know there were some issues w.r.t. getting OF booting working from
CD-ROM on some non-1.0.5 OF version.  I hope it wasn't a matter of
needing one of the patches from systemdisk |-(

If the FAQ doesn't provide a useful memory jog then try looking at
the archives from a couple of months ago when Michael Wolfson and
Todd Vierling were updating the installation instructions to get a
good description for all the different OF versions.

Maybe I should have asked this first, but what devalias's do you
have?  Do you have a cd: devalias which points to an IDE cdrom drive
on this machine?  If so then you should try booting from that.  I
would definitely try to use the default cd device for the machine
type until I got things working.

Good luck.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.