Subject: Re: Silly question - missing file...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/09/2001 14:57:11
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 09:56:10AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Another way to put this is that /etc/mk.conf needs upgrading when you
> upgrade your pkgsrc tree, not when you upgrade your OS. That's why (IMHO)
> it should not be in the OS. :-)

Fine, that makes complete sense.

Then it doesn't belong in /etc/mtree/special unless the user puts
it there, no?

Yeah, yeah, I know... then as soon as a new user created an
/etc/mk.conf for something in pkgsrc, it'd show up in that night's
mtree run... but that seems to make more sense to me, since one
doesn't *need* to create /etc/mk.conf to set the variables to keep
pkgsrc builds requiring variables to be set happy (you can just put
them in your environment or on the command line, no?), and since
then, at least, the mtree complaint would come from something the
user actually *did*.

Does that make some degree of sense?

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net