Subject: Re: Netbsd 1.5 on beige g3
To: None <andy@softbookpress.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/05/2001 17:06:06
On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 andy@softbookpress.com wrote:

> I'm having problems booting NetBSD 1.5 from an internal ide drive on beige
> g3 ( heathtow-ata)

	Who isn't :-D

> I did apply System Disk patches as detailed on the web
> OF commands tried:
> boot ide0/disk@0:0
> boot ide0/disk@0:/netbsd - nothing works.

	I think it should be ide0/@0:0,/netbsd instead of @0:/netbsd on
your second line there.

> Maybe worth noting: the error I get from OF  is "Can't OPEN:"
> If I were to type a bogus path the error is  "Can't OPEN:/foo/bar/blah"

	Did you:

	setenv boot-device ide0/@0:0
	setenv auto-boot? false
	setenv load-base 600000    <-(?) check me on this
	reset-all
		<computer reboots to OFW>
	boot

> I also tried absolute paths:
> boot /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@0:0

	Well I guess OFW is somewhat consistent on this machine then :)

> BTW, I did NOT run installboot after I installed the OS  - maybe this is my
> problem ?

	Did you manually install or use sysinst? sysinst should have put
the boot blocks on right after you set up your disklabel.

	BTW: what verion of SystemDisk are you using? There are three
different versions out there now.

	Chris