Subject: L2CR_CONFIG in cpu.c
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/02/2001 14:36:00
As long as we're on the subject of kernels, does anyone know the use
of L2CR_CONFIG in cpu.c for macppc? The relevant section is:

> #ifdef L2CR_CONFIG
> u_int l2cr_config = L2CR_CONFIG;
> #else
> u_int l2cr_config = 0;
> #endif

I just installed a Newer Tech G3 (500 mhz, 1 meg backside cache)
upgrade in my 7500, but apparently the backside cache is not enabled
out of OF (ah, sure, why should it be? 7500 OF is ancient). So the
following code fragment must be enabled.  Defining L2CR_CONFIG, or
initializing l2cr_config to something other than zero would seem to do
the trick, but I can't find any reference to either of these in the
rest of the code or conf.

Is it safe to enable the backside cache enable code?

If so, what's the preferred way of setting l2cr_config, or
L2CR_CONFIG?

-Mike