Subject: Re: MacOS Installer for NetBSD?
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/21/2000 18:10:04
Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

>> Feel free, but you need to note that the actual goal of NetBSD's install
>> system is to move away from such host-OS installers/booters and move toward
>> NetBSD-native (and platform-independent) sysinst.  Hopefully, NetBSD 1.6 for
>> mac68k will be sysinst driven for installs by default.
>
>Well... Having two install tools cannot be bad. It's always useful to
>have a tool working for the native OS.

Maybe, but it has been very difficult to keep the native OS tools up to
date on the mac68k port.  In fact they are very badly out of date with
the NetBSD system now and have been for a long time.  Generally when
people get NetBSD up and running they loose interest in maintaining the
native OS tools they used to get there.  Plus there is the confusion
factor that could be cuased by having two different methods of installing
NetBSD.  As the one who unofficially maintained the Mkfs application on
MacOS for years my vote would be to move as quickly as possible to the
sysinst method and drop the native OS tools.

-bob