Subject: Re: Any new -current snapshots?
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/19/2000 20:19:09
Matt Thomas wrote:

>What I am saying is that the above isn't even an issue.  the driver in
>question
>is not built into the INSTALL kernel so there is *no* way for you to use
>it to
>install on our B&W G3.  It can not work.

OK, I yield.  My original question was obviously to vague.  So let's try
it this way:

1) The 1.5 Installation Kernel doesn't work on my B&W G3 because it
doesn't probe the ide disk attached to the pci controller.  I think we
all now agree this doesn't work because it's not there.  (Why it isn't is
another question someone else can ask. Ditto on where this is documented
in the Release Notes.)

2) Is the problem in #1 fixed in -current?  In other words, is there an
Installation Kernel built on -current that will probe pciide on a B&W G3?

3) If the answer to #2 is "yes" then does anyone have a -current snapshot
that will work?

4) (Bonus points) If the answer to #3 is "yes", does the driver have
problems with lost interrrupts as early drivers in 1.4.2 did?

It appears to me that, contrary to the 1.5 announcement, there is
virtually no support for the B&W G3 -- the standard pci disk disk isn't
supported and neither is the standard Apple SCSI contoller.  An IDE disk
on the second pci controller may be supported, I'm not sure. Anyway, it
appears that a standard B&W G3 more or less "out of the box" can't
install 1.5, and may not even be able to run it if it could be installed.
 This certainly wasn't the case with 1.4.2.  I'm not complaining, just
trying to get back to where I was with 1.4.2 when I was able to build and
upload many of the package binaries.