Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 and Sonnet PCI IDE Card?
To: Jojo <info@thrill-inc.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2000 08:41:04
On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Jojo wrote:

> -on the small chip to the left it says (had to peel a sticker here):
> "Winbond
> W29EE512P-70
> 201146701
> 019GGRA"

	That's the FLASH "ROM" chip for BIOS updates

> -on the big chip in the center it says:
> "ACHIP
> ATP860-A
> MABC02400-1
> 0025"

	Hmm, that is not the Tripoint chip the SIIG card has, so there may
or may not be a driver writen for i386 yet. I don't know of a place where
you could go look that information up. My network link is down presently,
but there might be some info on what controllers are support on the i386
page on NetBSD.org or possibly under the supported hardware link from the
main NetBSD page.

> is NetBSD 1.5-current much different than 1.5 release? i guess that would be
> easy to update without having to reinstall from scratch.

	Theoretically yes, but the larger the time gap between release and
current, things tend to get much more complicated. Things are rarely
simple, but assuming that there has been a snapshot instead of building
current form source, it should be pretty painless.

> from what i have seen on the SIIG website the cards could be identical, but
> the picture they showed wasnt really accurate. and since i just started out

	Apparently not, *smirk* so much for my hopes of a $30 ATA/66 card
that would be OFW bootable.

	Chris