Subject: Multi-booting on Rev. A Beige G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@dailyjolt.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/2000 17:55:44
I'd like to install both NetBSD and Mac OS 9 on an Old World G3 with a
large (20GB) internal IDE disk, OF 2.0f1 (IIRC), with System Disk
patches applied.

Following the INSTALL documentation (which is extremely good, BTW!), I
partitioned the drive with Drive Setup, with A/UX Root and A/UX Swap at
the beginning of the disk (below the Old World 8GB limit), and the
remainder HFS+. However, sysinst appears to overwrite the Apple
Partition Map with a NetBSD disklabel.

Am I perhaps misusing sysinst? Or do I need to install by hand?

Also, am I correct in understanding that, after installing, I'll have to
load ofwboot.xcf from some source other than the hard disk? (I have a
NetBSD NFS and DHCP server on the same subnet, so this is not a
problem.)

Finally, is it possible to sanely multi-boot NetBSD, Mac OS 9, _and_ Mac
OS X on a single drive? (The OS X partition would also have to be below
8GB, of course.)

Thanks,

- Amitai