Subject: Re: Java support for NetBSD 1.5
To: Taro Fukunaga <tarozax@earthlink.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2000 18:37:49
> I've searched the mailing lists and found that this question was asked on
> 12/3/2000 but the search engine doesn't show any follow up messages that
> would make it easier to find answers. But it does seem like Java is not yet
> supported, which is pretty disappointing but I am interested to know if
> anyone is working on a port.

If my understanding is correct, Java licensing singles Linux out as an
exception to their normal licensing, which makes it very difficult to
do non-Linux distribution--even for open source projects like NetBSD.

So, the easiest way to get Java is to run in Linux emulation, but as
others have pointed out, Linux emulation isn't there for PPC.  I don't
know if there's anyone working on it.  Is there?

-allen

--
   Allen Briggs                                     briggs@wasabisystems.com
   http://www.wasabisystems.com/      Quality NetBSD Sales, Support, Service