Subject: HFS and NetBSD coexisting on rev. B imac
To: netbsd <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: richard <richard@spoon-bender.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2000 10:53:40
Hiya all...
I'm having a rather difficult time finding out how to get NetBSD onto a
partition created by Drive Setup (with co-existing HFS partitions).
I am using:
OF 3.0f2
drive setup 1.9.2

First, some possibly relevent background:
I have thus far been unable to boot either netbsd.ram.gz or the gunzipped
netbsd.ram, using either ofwboot.xcf | ofwboot.elf.  Oddly enough, this
works:
 boot hd:7,ofwboot.elf hd:7,boot.fs

where the above command does not work with netbsd.ram or netbsd.ram.gz,
which both live in the same partition/directory. I have also tried this
using an ISO/Mac hybrid, with all files placed on both the mac partiton and
the ISO partition. Booting into boot.fs gets me to the installer and
everything seems peachy, but I do not know if the filesystem on boot.fs is
using the same installation procedure as netbsd.ram.gz.
When I run sysinst, I get no options to use part of the disk as is mentioned
in the intall.txt file, and it does not seem to recognize the partitions I
have set aside for it. Weirdly enough, running disklabel wd0 at the shell
correctly prints out the partition scheme I set up in Drive Setup (with the
A/UX parts listed as 4.2BSD). I've even run newfs on wd0 , mounted it , and
created several test files on it, which has worked fine. Running sysinst
afterwards (and choosing re-install or upgrade) starts to work, but fails
because it can't find an /etc/fstab file.

Questions-

Is booting boot.fs giving me a more rudimentary sysinst program which does
not have the functionality that netbsd.ram has?

Is there a way to install NetBSD which does not utilize sysinst? (I tried
untarring / ungzipping the binary packages onto a filesystem made with
newfs, but I get a bunch of 'cpio' related errors about corruption. I know
tar|gzip work as I have created test archives using them)

Any help with either question would be most appreciated...

Thanks!

Richard