Subject: Re: Does PPP work on MacPPC?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/12/2000 07:11:03
Allen Briggs wrote:
>> The PPP traffic seems to refuse to be routed anywhere but the machine
>> running pppd.
>
>Do you have "options GATEWAY" in your kernel, or have you set the
>net.inet.ip.forwarding or net.inet6.ip6.forwarding sysctls?
>("sysctl -a | grep forward" should tell you...)

Egads! in all the messing about, I never checked.  Indeed this is
off.  I'm anxious to try it with forwarding on.  I'm betting that this
will put me (almost) over the top.

This has apparently changed from 1.3.x, where I believe that the
default was enabled.

Now all I have left is the problems with the serial ports, and the
strange latency problems.

Yours is the only response to my question, and I'm guessing that this is
because no one actually has it working.

Between the problems with the serial ports, (which make it pretty hard ;-> )
and the apparent bug in the option handling in pppd, I don't see how anyone
could be using ppp in MacPPC NetBSD 1.5.

Pppd, though, is common across archs, though, so I *must* be wrong about
the pppd code, because my reading of the code says that it will only
work if the speed is not set in the options until *after* the IP is
specified.  Unless I'm wrong about that, I don't see how this could
have slipped by....

I'll write again.

Thanks,

-dgl-