Subject: Re: Installation on a G3/233 DT Rev A problem with ext. scsi
To: Paul Guyot <pguyot@kallisys.net>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/04/2000 14:00:47
On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to install NetBSD on my external Western Digital 18 GB
> SCSI connected to the G3/233 scsi standard port (mesh).
>
> When I run the installer from the floppy, just after OF, it says SCSI
> something 2 seconds for devices to settle (or something like that).
> Then something I cannot read that ends with dump and something and
> finally rebooting.
> If I poweroff my SCSI drive: it works properly. But the only disk it
> can install it to is the internal disk.
> If I set load-base and/or real-base to 600000/F00000, it does the same.
> If I open the scsi drive in OF before running on the floppy, it does the same.

	Did you use SystemDisk to patch your OFW first? What version are
you trying to run/install? SCSI is _extremely_ picky about
termination. Assuming that the WD SCSI HD is the only drive on your
chain. Check that you have term. power and term enabled on the drive
itself and no terminator attached to the drive case, unless you have a
good quality active terminator, then disable drive termination (all) and
use the active term. on the case. This can also happen when you double
terminate a chain, or have no termination. Actually now that I think about
it, maybe you do have to double terminate the chain if you have no
internal SCSI device, but that info is terribly hard to come by.
	Also, messing with a device in OFW and then trying to boot from
it, almost always makes the device unusable and/or non-bootable.

	Chris