Subject: Re: root device question
To: jeff <jhergan@home.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/28/2000 13:25:13
At 8:35 PM -0600 11/24/00, jeff wrote:
>I was using a bad floppy (I tried about 4 til one finally worked).  Then
>I noticed that when I booted, it prompted for a root device.  I entered
>'wd0' just like I had been doing before the install.
>
>Then it dawned on me:  is that supposed to be 'wd0a' instead of wd0?
>Could that be the cause of my errors?

I think there is a boot floppy image out there where the kernel on it
is a standard one instead of an install image.  In that case it would
look for /etc/fstab, not find it, and ask for a root device (which
should be something like /dev/md0 for an install kernel).

If you are using a good boot floppy then it should already know where
its root device is and ask you to Install, Halt, or exit to shell
(not in that order).

OTOH if you are talking about when you boot after installing then you
probably need to do some more installing, perhaps including creating
a correct /etc/fstab file (which should have been done by sysinst).
What you say about using wd0a for the device is likely correct (I use
SCSI Mac's myself).

Good luck.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.