Subject: Re: PB G3 with NetBSD and OS 9
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2000 13:15:41
At 10:04 PM -0600 11/19/00, Bob Nestor wrote:
>charlie allom wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 01:58:06PM -0600, Bob Nestor wrote:
> >> the utility for both PPC and Mac68k. I had a report from a 68k user this
> >> morning that he successfully used it to set up NetBSD partitions on his
> >> Quadra 650 that were recognized by sysinst and allowed him to complete
> >> his NetBSD installation.
> >
> >What do we enter as the type of partition in pdisk? I'm on a ppc
> >here and looked thru the pdisk source, I found a UFS/FFS type but
> >no 4.2BSD ..
> >
>I've never tried this, but I was told it works.  I do know the original
>version of pdisk didn't set the bits in the partition correctly and I
>re-enabled that code when I added the "V" option to format and dump the
>Partition Table.  So make sure you have a good backup before trying
>anything.
>
>It's been a long time since I played with pdisk, but I believe if you set

So, if I play with this utility what are the chances that the
resulting hard disk will be OF-bootable?

I'd be happy if I could put ofwboot in a Mac HFS partition and then
fix ofwboot so it could tell OF which parition it wanted to read the
kernel from.  Of course someone has probably tried this already and
it won't work because of some bug or other in OF.

BTW I tried this utility on my G4 and it says:

Top level command (? for help): L
ATAPI - unit not ready
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata0.0'
ATAPI - unit not ready
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata0.1'
ATA - couldn't get info
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata1.0'
ATA - couldn't get info
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata1.1'
Top level command (? for help):

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.