Subject: Re: PB G3 with NetBSD and OS 9
To: charlie allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2000 22:04:41
charlie allom wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 01:58:06PM -0600, Bob Nestor wrote:
>> Christian F=F6rster wrote:
>>
>> >chris> Is there any possibility to install NetBSD with Mac OS 9 on the =
same
>> >chris> disk, without erasing the whole disk.
>> >
>> >Makoto> I belive by using disklabel (-e wd0) , you can do that, while
>> >I am not Makoto> sure.(looks self-contradiction..)
>> >
>> >Did not work because vi is missing in the installer kernel :-(
>
>> the utility for both PPC and Mac68k. I had a report from a 68k user this=

>> morning that he successfully used it to set up NetBSD partitions on his
>> Quadra 650 that were recognized by sysinst and allowed him to complete
>> his NetBSD installation.
>
>What do we enter as the type of partition in pdisk? I'm on a ppc
>here and looked thru the pdisk source, I found a UFS/FFS type but
>no 4.2BSD ..

I've never tried this, but I was told it works.  I do know the original
version of pdisk didn't set the bits in the partition correctly and I
re-enabled that code when I added the "V" option to format and dump the
Partition Table.  So make sure you have a good backup before trying
anything.

It's been a long time since I played with pdisk, but I believe if you set
the partition name to "Apple_UNIX_SVR2" it will do what you want.  This
is the partition type that NetBSD looks for, then it checks to see if the
proper flags have been written to the partition.  This isn't really the
partition name, it's actually the partition type.  The Partition Name
field is generally ignored by NetBSD now.  I think at one point
NetBSD/mac68k searched for keywords in the name field while trying to
classify the partition.  If you have the option of putting in a name use
works like "root", "swap" and/or "usr" to classify the partition
according to the way you want it used.

>So I remapped one of my HFS partitions as UFS/FFS but the
>1.5BETA2 sysinst didn't say it recognised it. sysinst wanted to
>repartition my entire 19 Gigs.

I may be wrong, but I don't think sysinst/macppc does anything other than
deal with the whole disk.  There is a version of sysinst that does deal
with the Apple Partition Map but right now it's only used in the mac68k
port.  It also allows the entire disk to be used for NetBSD like the
current version of sysinst/macppc.  There hasn't been a lot of testing
with it on the mac68k port (other than its been working for me for a year
or so), but maybe it's about time to start thinking about using it with
the MacPPC port as well.  It knows how to work around the Apple Disk
Partition Map, and it has logic to actually partition the disk and
re-write the Apple Diks Partition Map.

Hope this helps,
-bob