Subject: Re: PB G3 with NetBSD and OS 9
To: Christian F=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6rster?= <christian.foerster@berlinfo.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2000 13:58:06
Christian F=F6rster wrote:

>chris> Is there any possibility to install NetBSD with Mac OS 9 on the sam=
>chris> disk, without erasing the whole disk.
>
>Makoto> I belive by using disklabel (-e wd0) , you can do that, while
>I am not Makoto> sure.(looks self-contradiction..)
>
>Did not work because vi is missing in the installer kernel :-(
>
>Makoto> i and j are MacOS bootable partition,
>
>Did you create this partion before installing NetBSD or afterwards?
>How have you managed to install NetBSD on your iBook with MacOS
>already installed?
>
>Is there a possibility to change  Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Partions (created
>with Apples disk drive) into 4.2BSD partions, so that sysinst
>recognizes it?

Chris,

The MkLinux pdisk utility has the ability to do this, but in the standard
version the code was commented out.  I re-enabled the code and re-built
the utility for both PPC and Mac68k. I had a report from a 68k user this
morning that he successfully used it to set up NetBSD partitions on his
Quadra 650 that were recognized by sysinst and allowed him to complete
his NetBSD installation.  If you want to give it a try you can find
copies of the modifed sources and pre-built executables for both Mac68k
and PPC at:

   ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/map/pdisk.sea.hqx

The file is self-extracting and can be downloaded in ASCII. You'll need
something like Stuffit Expander or a built-in decompression tool, but
that's pretty common to Mac users.

Hope this helps,
-bob