Subject: Re: I too get the "no init" panic
To: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@imb.uq.edu.au>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/14/2000 15:47:53
At 7:09 PM +1000 11/14/00, Danny Thomas wrote:
>I've been trying several ways to boot a kernel on an iMac, with little
>success - I tried from an HFS+ partition, from hybrid CDROM, from ISO CDROM
>and finally the recent image mirrored at
>http://www.storage.e-plagiarism.com/free/netbsd/. I've got no problem with
>starting the bootloader, but basically it always reports "file not found".

That could mean you got the device or partition wrong too. ;-(

>That's why I've suggested elsewhere it would be really nice if there was a
>documented way, either in OF or the bootloader, to get an ls. Maybe my
>problem was as simple as leaving off the ";1" version number?

For me it seems to work both ways, but you need to give OF the ';1'
if you put it on the CD.

>Part of my problem was not updating OF straight away - I guess I couldn't
>believe how buggy it has been. On this iMac, the version changed from
>OF3.0.f3 -> OF3.0.f2. Immediately after doing that, at least the recent
>image booted which was an exciting moment until...
>
>root on cd0a dumps on cd0b
>root file system type: cd9660
>warning: no /dev/console
>init: not found
>panic: no init

This sounds like a kernel build problem.  A standard kernel can't
find a proper root partition.  You *should* be booting the
installation kernel to get started and it *should* put root on md0 or
some such.  I suppose you could try to burn an installed tree onto
your CD, but I'll guarantee that you can't put your swap space there!
;-)

>is there a known good image around?
>I don't have access to the machine right now, othjerwise I'd try one of
>those BETA1 kernel-only boot images Todd prepared.

I burned a ISO level 1 9660 with the ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.ram.gz
files from the beta 2 snapshot and they work fine under OF1.0.5.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.