Subject: I too get the "no init" panic
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@imb.uq.edu.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/14/2000 19:09:58
I've been trying several ways to boot a kernel on an iMac, with little
success - I tried from an HFS+ partition, from hybrid CDROM, from ISO CDROM
and finally the recent image mirrored at
http://www.storage.e-plagiarism.com/free/netbsd/. I've got no problem with
starting the bootloader, but basically it always reports "file not found".
That's why I've suggested elsewhere it would be really nice if there was a
documented way, either in OF or the bootloader, to get an ls. Maybe my
problem was as simple as leaving off the ";1" version number?

Part of my problem was not updating OF straight away - I guess I couldn't
believe how buggy it has been. On this iMac, the version changed from
OF3.0.f3 -> OF3.0.f2. Immediately after doing that, at least the recent
image booted which was an exciting moment until...

root on cd0a dumps on cd0b
root file system type: cd9660
warning: no /dev/console
init: not found
panic: no init

soon after it was placed on that mirror site, Mike Bush said
>WAIT! I downloaded the file lastnight (yep from myself) and the file was
>damaged. Not sure why. It may have been my web server or my browser. If
>your's is damaged let me know I have the good copy to send! I couldnt shut
>the thing down last night (remotely).

so maybe this is the problem he was referring to. It seems likely that
Nigel Kersten was using the same image

is there a known good image around?
I don't have access to the machine right now, othjerwise I'd try one of
those BETA1 kernel-only boot images Todd prepared.

Danny