Subject: Yes Case Matters
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/10/2000 19:50:14
I got my home 8500 put back together and was able to boot with two test
CD-ROM's I burned.  In both cases they worked correctly if I put the
filename in upper case and not if I entered the identical command in lower
case.

One case was a self-made CD with Toast 3.5.5 ISO 9660 Level 1, no Mac
extensions, the ;1 version numbers included.  Boot command: "boot
scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1 netbsd.gz".

The other case was MW's test image.  The working boot command was "boot
scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF -a".

The filename given to ofwboot does not appear to be case sensitive.  The
"sd" *cannot* be in upper case.  8-)  Since the partition number is
stripped for OF 1.0.5 I may not be able to use these CD's to bootstrap a
NetBSD installation on a disk that also contains MacOS, but I'm
investigating.  The default device for ofwboot appears to be the CD rather
than the contents of boot-device.  I need to go back and reread the code
there.

I must say these are a h*ll of a lot faster and nicer to work from than a
boot floppy.