Subject: Re: airport card interoperation with encryption & MacOS
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/06/2000 16:53:54
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I have a Lucent Wavelan card I'm getting set up, and I have an iMac (which
> runs MacOS 9) that I could put an Airport card in.
>
> What I'd like to do is be able to have the iMac and the wavelan card
> interoperate. I figure ad-hoc mode is fine. Will the MacOS drivers support
> that? Also, will they support WEP in ad-hoc mode? I'd like to keep the
> neighboors off the cable modem...

Are you really doing computer to computer, or are you going to set the
iMac to "software base station mode"?  If the latter, I'm pretty sure you
can still do WEP, though I don't have two of them to try it.  I have no
idea about the ad-hoc mode.

David

                    Check out my weekly web comic:
                     http://www.techmagazine.org