Subject: Re: ofwboot man page 2nd draft
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/06/2000 09:26:37
At 11:19 PM -0500 11/3/00, Chris wrote:
>on 11/3/00 8:56 PM, Henry B. Hotz at hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote something like:
> > boot {promdev[@addr][:part],}ofwboot.xcf
> > [[promdev[{:|,}partition]]/]filename[ a|s|d...]

>    And I personally have seen ofwboot.xcf not behave quite as it should.
>When specifying boot fd:0 -a to load ofwboot.xcf from the 1.4.2 boot floppy.
>The boot prompt was appending /netbsd to anything I typed. In this case
>because "netbsd" (though NOT "/netbsd" which is weird) was in the boot-file
>environment. Perhaps a check is needed when -a is specified to not append
>the boot-file environment. Can anyone else verify this behavior?

The code looks for the `/'.  I think if you don't have the slash it
may treat the entire line as a filename.  No, I think it will notice
the `:' or `,'.  I'm not sure.  But I think without a slash in the
filename it may do something unreasonable that would explain what you
see.

Can you check on this a bit more?  The way I wrote the BNF above you
need the `/' if you give it a promdev.  I would check some of this
myself, but I'm having trouble just getting a CD-ROM image I can boot
from at all under any circumstances.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.