Subject: Re: Random comments on installation and booting
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/2000 23:26:15
At 3:53 AM +0100 11/4/00, Thomas Klausner wrote:

:)So I finally managed to boot NetBSD from the hard disc -- thanks for
:)all the help!

Cool.

BTW, I double-checked and the command you should use from OF to boot a
MacOS CD is:
boot cd:,\\:tbxi

(I had placed the second colon after tbxi, instead of before)

:)With such a setup: Don't create disklabels! Just do a newfs, and
:)ignore the warning about disklabel.

Perhaps someone should change sysinst on macppc to put a message saying
something like "if you have previously partitioned your drive using a MacOS
utility, you should not disklabel it right now".

In any case, I recently overhauled the INSTALL docs, and they will be
present in all future builds of NetBSD/macppc.  At the moment, they're on
my website:

http://costello.cnf.cornell.edu/basesrc/distrib/notes/macppc/INSTALL.html

I'm pretty sure it explains all the steps you went through to install, but
if you'd be so kind as to double-check before 1.5 is finalized I'd
appreciate it.

:)In the booting process, around the line
:)abtn0 at adb0 addr 7: brightness/volume control
:)the screen seems to get dimmed, just like in MacOS powersaving mode.
:)
:)Should I send-pr any of the last three items?

Others have reported this, but no one has filed a PR.  Please do so.

Thanks for reminding me -- I need to put this in the FAQ.

  -- MW