Subject: Re: Problems with real-base != -1
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/2000 20:08:23
Bill Studenmund wrote:

>Then, if I set real-base to say f00000 or f0000000 , then I can boot a
>large kernel. BUT the next time I go into OF (say the next boot), OF
>wedges hard. I get a chime, but nothing shows up on any
>screen. Cmd-Optioon-P-R doesn't reset the prom either. I have to reverse
>the PRAM battery for a while (or let it sit w/o battery even longer) to
>get the machine back.
>
>Any one else seen this?

I've seen similar strange behavour on my B&W G3.  I thought it was due to
fiddling with System Disk and playing with some of the OF parameters
myself.  The only way I was able to recover was to pull the power cord; I
didn't try the PRAM battery.  I suspect there are a few more OF variables
that are getting set/reset that we don't know about yet.

-bob