Subject: Booting on OFW 3 (was: OpenFirmware question: load-size=0)
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Kretschmer, Heiko; 3276 <kretschh@vab.burda.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/2000 23:17:26
> :)I got NetBSD net-booting. Now I just tried to boot from my MacOS CD
> :)(to reinstall it using less space on the hard disc), and get:
> :)
> :)--quote--
> :)0 > boot cd:  MAC-PARTS: LOAD (noninterposed) not supportedload-size=0
> :adler32=1
> :)
> :)
> :)LOAD-SIZE is too small
> :) ok
> :)0 >
>Ah, yes.  I ran across this too.  MacOS does not boot from Open Firmware
>the way you're trying to.  What you need to do is type `mac-boot', and it
>will start its minimal OF program that searches for a MacOS "ROM" file on
>any attached disk.  If you hold down the "C" key, it will look on a CD-ROM
>first.
>Optionally, I think what might work is if you typed (and I'm guessing
here):
>boot cd:,\\tbxi:

Since your discussing a similar problem I have, I would just like to ask a
question...

I installed NetBSD 1.5H successfully on my G4/400 (the new series), but I
just can't boot (getting the same erros as Thomas, trying to boot from ffs
(root)  or HFS (with a kernel  (netbsd) on top level of a second disk) . The
install.ps doesn't help me further. I suppose OFW ist not able to boot
NetBSD from a ffs. So, what is the easiest way to get this system booted? I
tried to set up a msdos-fs on the disk (I read that OFW 3 can read that) but
I didn't make it (mounted newly installed / to /mnt, startet
/mnt/sbin/newfs_msdos but it keeps saying that it won't format (newfs does
fine), so this don't seem to be an option :) ).

So does anyone have an idea how I get the machine booted?

Heiko