Subject: Re: Maybe OF 1.0.5 isn't so bad. No, Never Mind.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/01/2000 15:25:05
At 12:12 PM -0800 11/1/00, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

:)I know cd isn't a defined device alias on OF 1.0.5 but I somehow
:)wound up typing
:)
:)boot cd:ofwboot.xcf -a
:)
:)on an 8500 that had a boot test CD-ROM in it and it worked!
:)Now the punch line:  I had boot-device set to fd:0 and I also had a
:)boot floppy in the machine.  The only error message was "no open
:)package".

Actually, if you type an improper boot command, it will boot from the
device set in boot-device.

So, since it didn't recognize cd, it started using fd.  That's why it took
so long for it to load the kernel.  If you listen, you can probably hear
the floppy.

If you don't have a boot-device set, the default is to boot into MacOS.
That's why sometimes people post saying that `boot foo' gave them a grey
screen with a flashing question mark.

:)If anyone wants to put
:)up ISO images to try (less than 2MB please) I'll see if I can get to
:)them in a reasonable amount of time.

Try
http://www.blobulent.com/~mw/netbsd-macppc.iso

I created this with Toast for MacOS.  It's 1.4 MB in size, and has two
files: NETBSD.GZ and OFWBOOT.XCF
The kernel is the one extracted from the 1.5_ALPHA2 boot floppy.

  -- MW