Subject: Maybe OF 1.0.5 isn't so bad. No, Never Mind.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/01/2000 12:12:50
I know cd isn't a defined device alias on OF 1.0.5 but I somehow
wound up typing

boot cd:ofwboot.xcf -a

on an 8500 that had a boot test CD-ROM in it and it worked!  I was
even able to give it a filename of netbsd (which took a while to
load) and proceed to download the 1.5 beta distribution to hard disk.

Now the punch line:  I had boot-device set to fd:0 and I also had a
boot floppy in the machine.  The only error message was "no open
package".

The real bad news is that I couldn't boot from the ISO disk when I
was doing it right.  I'm using as stripped down a format as I can get
in Toast.  The one thing I want to try is to put the version numbers
on the filenames since that may be something OF expects.

This is an 8500 with AFAICT the original disk drive.  The disk is
partitioned with Drive Setup to 128MB MacOS 9 HFS, 256MB swap and the
rest of the 2GB is A/UX Root&User.  64MB RAM, no PCI cards, no
external SCSI, no nothing.

At least from a hardware standpoint this is as close to the original
configuration as we have any right to expect.  If anyone wants to put
up ISO images to try (less than 2MB please) I'll see if I can get to
them in a reasonable amount of time.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.