Subject: Re: problem booting 7500
To: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: russell muetzeleldt <russm@webtime.com.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/01/2000 12:16:17
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Dan McMahill wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> > At 11:24 AM -0500 10/31/00, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> >
> > :)0 > boot scsi/sd@4:0,ofwboot.xcf unrecognized Client Program formatstate
> > :)not valid
> > :) ok
> > Odd.  You're the second person I've heard from with this problem.  What
> > command are you using to make your CD-R image?  Try
> > http://www.blobulent.com/~mw/netbsd-macppc.iso
>
> mkhybrid -v -v -o images/out.iso -b boot-padded.fs -c boot.catalog -J -r
>    -a -l -L  NetBSD-1.5_BETA

is this CD meant to also boot an i386 machine?? if not there's no need to
include an El Torito boot image ("-b boot-padded.fs -c boot.catalog")...
iirc, eltorito CDs have some magic done to them so the client hardware can
find the boot floppy image - perhaps this is confusing the OF ISO9660 fs
code...

also, don't the -l and -L options break strict ISO9660 conformance??

i'd try burning a minimal CD first to see if even that will work - ofwboot
and a kernel both with 8.3 filenames, no other files, no El Torito, no
Joliet, no Rock Ridge, no other ISO9660 extensions... if that works you're
on the way to finding what option you're using on the CD is confusing OF
on your machine...

russell muetzelfeldt

"For a list of ways which technology has failed to improve our quality of
life, press 3."