Subject: Re: 8500/G3 internal HD boot failure
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/31/2000 11:43:02
At 11:36 AM -0500 10/31/00, Allen Briggs wrote:

:)This is something different, I think.  It looked like OF wasn't even
:)getting as far as attempting to load the kernel--it gave several
:)"resetting scsi bus" messages, then a DEFAULT CATCH!  It could be
:)something with the drive, but it booted just fine with the 604 CPU
:)card installed.

Ah.  This wasn't clear from your first message.  About the only thing I can
suggest is to try to see if your card came with some OF nvram patches (mine
did).  Basically, when I boot to MacOS with the XLR8 control panel
installed, it puts some stuff in nvramrc.  Then I use BootVars to set kbd
and /chaos/control.

This made no difference as to what OF could/couldn't boot from on my
system, but there might be something similar for your G3 card that would
make a difference.  Remember, System Disk will overwrite other nvramrc
patches.

:)I think the G3 sleep (nap vs. doze) is something else.  I've also
:)got that fix in place here.

Right, that is a problem only after the kernel loads and starts to probe
SCSI devices.

Good luck,
  -- MW