Subject: re: 7500-class boot problems (probably not MESH-related after all)
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
From: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/26/2000 18:24:49
Monroe Williams sez:

>  The netbsd.EASTERN-1.4S kernel boots fine with the 604/120 card.
>
>  The Newer Tech card and the PowerLogix card running at 300MHz (the speed I
>  usually ran it at before I retired it in favor of the the Newer Tech card)
>  both give the following:
>
>  scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>  scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>  probe(mesh0:0:0): Sense Error Code 0x0
>  mesh: timeout state=3
>  mesh: resetting dma
>
>  and they're done.

Thanks for running it.

But Dang.  I was sure netbsd.EASTERN-1.4S would work.  Another
beautiful theory down the drain.  Oh, well, that's what theories are
for.  Shootin' down.

So, without the gory details, it appears that the problem is either
speed or CPU related, or both, and the software change causing (or
merely aggravating?) it happened in the first couple of weeks of
February 2000.

>  Not exactly the elegant approach, but it should bloody well isolate the
>  problem.

>  Tired of waiting,

Works for me.  But let's be sure that there are not similar bugs
lurking in the code, once we find this one.  Meanwhile, I think I'll
have a look at the changes in these two weeks.

-Mike