Subject: Re: X :(
To: Gregory Smith <wolfy@treellama.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/23/2000 07:09:50
Gregory Smith wrote:

>	I run the VNC server off a headless/mouseless/keyboardless netbsd/alpha
>box, which I boot with a serial console. The VNC server itself is an X
>server; even if X won't run locally (which it won't on turbochannel alphas)
>VNC will start up and give you an X desktop. I use the mac client, which is
>ok, but not as nice as the PC or unix clients.
>	MacX 2.0 is nice, too, definitely more polished than MI/X or eXodus. I
>prefer VNC, though. Over my 10 Mb/s ethernet it seems more responsive than
>any of the other solutions.

OK, maybe I'm using it wrong then.  If it's an X Server I should be able
to run it on my G3 and have x-applications running my my Sparc direct
their windows to the G3.  The recent copy I have doesn't seem to let me
do that.  When I run it on my G3 it prompts me for a system to connect
to, and if I respond with the IP address of my Sparc it give me a failure
because it can't find the VNC component running on the Sparc. If I
install that component on my Sparc and connect from the G3 what I see is
whatever was directed on the Sparc to the VNC component running on the
Sparc.

Can you enlighten me with how I can run VNC as an X Server in the same
manner as MI/X or MacX runs?

-bob