Subject: Re: X :(
To: Gregory Smith <wolfy@treellama.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/22/2000 20:27:31
Gregory Smith wrote:

>--On Sunday, October 22, 2000 8:50 PM -0400 Michael Wolfson
><mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> At 3:30 PM -0500 10/22/00, Jeff wrote:
>>
>> :)In spite of the fact that OF 2.01 doesn't support my Performa's
>> :)Valkyrie video and I have to use a serial console (my laptop), NetBSD
>> :)for power-pc is definitely the sharpest OS I've used (of all the
>> :)other *nix variants).

>> What you really want is a X server for your laptop so you can run X
>> *clients* (such as gnome and xterms) from your macppc machine (yes, I
>> know, the terminology is reversed).  There is a free X server for MacOS
>> (M/IX, I think it's called), but I don't know how good it is.  I've used
>> eXodus for MacOS (commercial software) and it works very well.
>>

>	VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ ) is in the package collection,
>and IMO works better than remote X hosting. Everything, including the
>client, is free.

If you can't run X on the desktop (or on any local terminal) I'm not sure
VNC will be much help.  All it seems to do is give one remote control of
a local screen/keyboard/mouse (or local control of a remote system).
It's capable of working with many different systems (Windows, MacOS,
UNIX), but isn't a replacement for an X Server.  You'd really need
something like M/IX, eXodus, MacTen or MacX I think.  MacX 1.5 or 1.7 can
sometimes be found on eBay or at local garage/sidewalk sales and although
it doesn't do the inital XDM-like login there is a freeware utility that
can handle this.  Version 2.0 includes this feature.

-bob