Subject: Re: X :(
To: Jeff <jhergan@home.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/22/2000 20:50:00
At 3:30 PM -0500 10/22/00, Jeff wrote:

:)In spite of the fact that OF 2.01 doesn't support my Performa's
:)Valkyrie video and I have to use a serial console (my laptop), NetBSD
:)for power-pc is definitely the sharpest OS I've used (of all the
:)other *nix variants).

Cool!  Glad to hear it.

:)But, the X documentation is way messed up, or I'm missing something.

You're missing a screen and keyboard/mouse.  The X server runs on the
machine that will be displaying the graphics.  Since your machine doesn't
support graphics (i.e. you have to use a serial console), then you can't
run the X server, and it wouldn't do you any good if you could because your
machine doesn't support the screen.

What you really want is a X server for your laptop so you can run X
*clients* (such as gnome and xterms) from your macppc machine (yes, I know,
the terminology is reversed).  There is a free X server for MacOS (M/IX, I
think it's called), but I don't know how good it is.  I've used eXodus for
MacOS (commercial software) and it works very well.

Good luck,
  -- MW