Subject: Re: Netbooting with OF 1.0.5 again...
To: None <mw@blobulent.com, mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/21/2000 23:28:40
> :)as reported earlier, my 7600 macppc can no longer boot from
> :)the NetBSD SCSI drive after my G3 processor upgrade (I wish I
> :)knew why -- all it says is "RESETint SCSI bus" followd by
> :)"can't OPEN: scsi-int/sd@1:0")
>
> Did you see my post a few days ago about a G3 upgrade in my
> 7500?  Depending on the brand of G3 upgrade, it might or might
> not turn of speculative processing in OF (some early versions
> of G3 upgrades required MacOS to load an extension before it
> was turned off).  Try downgrading to a 604 and see if you still
> can't boot.

I inserted my old CPU again, and yes, I can now again boot from the
second internal SCSI drive (on the mesh controller).

I have also had a confirmation that the ofwboot.xcf can't really be
used to net-boot OFW 1.0.5 machines.  Charles Hannum confirms that
the "open" routine in OF for the ethernet device automatically does
a BOOTP and/or TFTP, so it "takes over" from the rest of the code in
ofwboot.xcf.

The only chance at a workaround to net-boot would thus probably be
to construct an XCOFF version of the kernel itself, and in my 1.4.3
installation I currently lack the tools to do that (objcopy needs
support for aixcoff-rs6000, for one).  (There's also the issue of
whether the kernel would be invoked "correctly"...)

I also tried cleaning the heads on my floppy drive, and even though
some goo came off, it still could not boot from my boot floppies.

So, for the time being it's back to the 132MHz ppc 604 processor for
me.

Thanks for the hints, suggestions and reports, BTW.

- H=E5vard