Subject: Re: Netbooting with OF 1.0.5 again...
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: Rod Morehead <rmore@rmore.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/21/2000 15:18:21
he@netbsd.org (Havard Eidnes) writes:

> Hi,
>
> as reported earlier, my 7600 macppc can no longer boot from the
> NetBSD SCSI drive after my G3 processor upgrade (I wish I knew why
> -- all it says is "RESETint SCSI bus" followd by "can't OPEN:
> scsi-int/sd@1:0"), so I've been booting the kernel from the floppy
> drive for a while.  Well, it now seems that the floppy drive has
> croaked on me, and it's no longer able to boot from diskette (all I
> get is "READ TIMEOUT").

I have experienced this as well on my 8500. This does not happen on
the external bus, but in the past there were some NetBSD issues with
the external SCSI bus.

Due this combination of problem at I one point I would start the boot
(via OF) on an external drive and pass in the -a (I think that was the
arg, it has been a while). Then I would give it an internal disk
partition when it prompted for the boot partition.

I would guess this approach would work if you have a spare SCSI disk
to use on the external drive.

My guess is that the OF based internal SCSI bus driver code has a
timing issue which shows up because of the increased speed of the G3
upgrade. I was able to "dial" my upgrade card down too about 180Mhz
and have it boot from the internal, but at that speed why bother.

Thanks,

-- Rod Morehead
   rmore@rmore.net