Subject: Re: Why is ofwboot.elf necessary?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org,mw@blobulent.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/2000 23:31:44
In article <v03130303b6138f34eefc@[10.0.1.2]> you write:
>At 1:28 PM -0400 10/18/00, Chris Tribo wrote:
>:)and the smarts to let boot disks span across multiple floppies.
>
>Is that necessary for macppc?  Only OF 1 and OF 2 machines have floppy
>drives, and those machines don't ship with USB ports and can't boot from
>USB hard drives anyways.  The floppy kernel can be stripped of USB drivers,
>shrinking its size substantially.

OF 1 machines can still have USB ports though (mine's got them), and it
would certainly have been nice to have been able to install over my USB
Ethernet adaptor rather than having to use a dodgy SCSI mag-opt drive.  I'd
thus like the INSTALL kernel to come with USB support if at all possible,
even on OF 1 systems.