Subject: 601 available for development; documentation help needed
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/2000 03:26:44
Hello, all,

It's been a while since I posted here; I couldn't get enough software
running on  macppc to make a colocatable machine (mainly, MySQL and a
few other things require MIT-pthreads), so I've decked out my Amiga
and I'm running that.

Anyway, I've been collecting information to add to the docs regarding
booting, but I find that the stories told are disparate and
inconsistent. I'd like to ask if people could, instead of just
reporting that a particular model works with a particular
OpenFirmware version, report what they use to boot (SystemDisk or
OF), what they're booting off of (HFS, CD, floppy), and model and OF
version. Even for the models of Macs I have, I cannot find consistent
answers (for example, some people claim to be able to boot in a way
that a drive on the UDMA-66 bus on a blue & white G3 works; I'd need
details, as I cannot duplicate this).

I'd love to be able to at least contribute something to the docs that
might reduce confusion for others.

In addition, if anyone out there would like to work on PPC 601
support, I have a 100 MHz 601 card for a PCI Mac (I believe it's from
a 7500). Tell me you're going to actually try to get 601 stuff going
in NetBSD, and I'll ship it to you.

Thanks much,
John Klos
http://www.sixgirls.org/