Subject: Re: annotated dual G4-450 dmesg
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/2000 01:36:10
on 10/16/00 5:03 PM, Bill Studenmund at wrstuden@zembu.com wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Dan Winship wrote:
>
>>> cpu0 at mainbus0: 7400 (Revision 209), ID 0 (primary)
>>> cpu0: 1MB backside cache
>>>
>>> *** Why doesn't it call it a G4?
>>
>> "G3" and "G4" are names that Apple made up. The code that prints out
>> the processor type is in the powerpc-generic code, so it uses the
>> IBM/Motorola names. Maybe there could be an #ifdef macppc in there or
>> something though.
>
> I'd say just change it. Have it print both names. I think most of those
> chips which are shipped end up in Apple products anyway. :-)

FWIW, the PowerPC Roadmap diagram on the Motorola web site does classify
their PowerPC line into generations labelled G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, and G6.
Each generation encompasses several different model numbers.  For example,
the "G3" family includes the MPC740, MPC750, and MPC755 as well as their
83xx embedded product line.

http://ebus.mot-sps.com/Technology/top/0,1400,M943030589337,00.html

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com