Subject: Re: Boot failures with MESH SCSI bus
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
From: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/16/2000 18:53:09
>  Thanks for providing the stripped kernels.  Neither work with my 7500 (even
>  with real-base set to F00000)....
>  ....I still get the
>  same problems as my last post about it.
>
>  Any other suggestions?
>
>    -- MW

You're welcome.

Ummmmm...

You don't mention any hard drives.  What devices do you have on the
two SCSI busses -- powered up or not?  What are their actual SCSI
addresses?  Did they come from apple?  Are they new, or did they come
from other systems? Do they work on other systems, or do they work
with the Mac OS on your 7500?

Did you modify or replace the 50 pin internal SCSI cable, or are you
using the original 7500 cable?  What are you using for an external
cable?

And what processor did you replace the original 601 processor with?

Sorry to sound so intrusive, but I don't know that the macppc netbsd
port has had experience with lightly loaded multiple SCSI busses,
where SCSI address 0 might not be filled.

As I mentioned, we don't use the esp bus, and we have a:

  sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <WDIGTL, WDE9100, 1.50> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
  sd0: 8683 MB, 6932 cyl, 12 head, 213 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17783204 sectors
  cd0 at scsibus1 target 3 lun 0: <SONY, CD-ROM CDU-8005, 1.0j> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

with:

  mesh0 at obio0 offset 0x18000 irq 13: 50MHz, SCSI ID 7

giving us devices at SCSI targets 0, 3, and 7.  The Western Digital
drive is not apple, but (except for a memory upgrade, an ATI Rage
video card, and the CPU swap-out), everything else is stock.  We did
remake the SCSI internal cable, and put an active terminator on it.

-Mike