Subject: Re: CD-ROM booting
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/13/2000 21:08:53
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Michael Wolfson wrote:

: For future reference, it seems that some versions of Open Firmware can boot
: from ISO 9660 format volumes and some can't.  Here's what I know:
:
: OF 1.0.5 (PowerMac 7500), can boot from a pure ISO 9660 volume (without any
: Apple or Microsoft "extensions").  You *must* use capital letters to
: specify the file to boot from.

OK.  Thanks!

What I now need to find out is exactly what's needed in order to make a
self-booting *HFS* CD-ROM.  In the Wasabi 1.5 distribution, we're already
going to have one CD carrying a HFS overlay partition (mkhybrid) because I
want the mac68k tools to be directly runnable.  This should make booting
macppc easy.

What files, under what pathnames, need to go where?  (Note that the boot
floppy appears to be a real floppy with a partition map, so using that as a
boot file is probably not useful; I'd likely need a ramdisk kernel before it
gets written to a disk image.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/