Subject: Can someone explain Open Firmware ELF errors to me?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/12/2000 02:10:12
OK, so I tried a booting a variety of things from my OF 3.0 PowerBook.  I
got various errors in the process.  I know these kernels are valid ELF and
can at least partially boot my 7500.  Why can't OF 3.0 load them properly?
Can someone explain to me what the error messages mean?

For instance:
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2/macppc/installation/floppy/bo
ot.fs>
I extracted the kernel from this one and when I try "boot hd:netbsd", I get:
unrecognized Client Program

<ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp/pub/NetBSD/macppc/netbsd.hfsboot>
"boot hd:netbsd.hfsboot" gives me:
unrecognized Client Program

<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20000620-1.5/installation/
netbsd.ram.gz>
"boot hd:netbsd.ram" gets me:

CLAIM failed

Why?  Why do I get a CLAIM failed?  Why are they "unrecognized"?

I also tried hfsboot from <ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp/pub/NetBSD/macppc/>
This gives me:
NetBSD/macppc Open Firmware, Revision 1.1
(tsubai ... Aug 12, 2000)
bootpath = [path for hd]/hfsboot
=0x215
start 0x400

NetBSD/macppc Open Firmware, Revision 1.1
(tsubai ... Aug 12, 2000)
bootpath = [path for hd]/hfsboot

And just hangs there.

ofwboot.elf works fine, except it can't load kernels from ISO9660 or HFS
volumes. I thought ofwboot.elf used Open Firmware file access routines, how
come it can't just use the HFS stuff from OF?

Thanks for any explanations,
  -- MW