Subject: Sorry state of affairs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/12/2000 01:58:13
Grrr,

This evening I wanted to work on the installation docs for macppc.
Instead, I spent the whole night trying to find a 1.5-ish kernel that would
actually boot one of the two macppc machines I have (PowerBook (FireWire)
and PowerMac 7500).

I failed to find one among the 1.5_ALPHA2 and the 20000620-1.5 snapshots.

I'm not *too* surprised that I couldn't find a kernel that would work on my
PowerBook (FireWire), as it is only recently supported.  Tsubai, will that
patch you sent me (to get my PB working) be pulled up to 1.5?  SUNAGAWA
Keiki, how is progress on the iBook keyboard coming along?

I couldn't, however, find a working kernel for my 7500, which is more
troublesome.  I'll give details in my next messages, but briefly the
Adaptec 2940UW controller I have installed prevents booting.  Devices on
the MESH controller might sort of work, but don't.  Moving everything to
the NCR53C94 (esp0) a.k.a. "external" SCSI bus fail just as miserably.

That leaves me with only the network as a viable interface.  And since I
don't have a home network, I can't even try that.

Suggestions?  Is someone building a more recent boot floppy or ISO image
that might work with one of the three SCSI busses on my 7500?

[sigh].  At least I can overhaul the Open Firmware sections of the install
docs, but it won't be terribly worthwhile if none of the common SCSI busses
are supported.

  -- MW