Subject: Re: Mac 9150 Server Support ?
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/10/2000 13:35:35
"David A. Gatwood" wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:
>
> > The largest problem is that one needs MacOS in order to boot this
> > machine since it does not have OpenFirmware as the PCI based PowerMac's
> > do. The only viable option to booting at this time is the MkLinux booter
> > application.
>
> Well, I'd call the MkLinux Booter non-viable.  The only one really viable
> is BootX, the open-source app that works for MkLinux, but was written for
> LinuxPPC originally.

	It doesn't seem that way from an idiots perspective (that would be me).
BootX=written for PCI PowerMacs only, requires OpenFirmware. MkLinux
Booter=Nubus PowerMacs, no OpenFirmware. Mac 9150=Nubus, no
openfirmware,601. Perhaps the fuzzy math just isn't working for me? The
booter is just loading the kernel right? Me thinks the job would be far
easier to use MkLinux Booter for NuBus PPC machines.
If by chance you mean to use BootX for PCI&OFW PPC's, that would be a
different
story. Then I would agree, BootX is the most viable.

	Chris