Subject: Re: Wscons problems from a new kid on the block
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/09/2000 16:39:02
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Thilo Manske wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09 2000 at 03:19:32 -0200, caportel wrote:
> > The hardest part was the wscons configuration: I compiled the kernel with
> > options for 4 virtual consoles, read the FAQs for A to Z, changed the
> > configuration for the wscons, created the needed devices but nothing seems
> > to work and prompt to me the same error: "WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot
> > allocate memory".
> AFAIK wscons doesn't support virtual consoles on macppc (yet?!?).

Right. The problem is that the wscons system right now expects each
virtual screen to contain all the info needed for it in its backing store.
For an all-graphics screen like macppc has, that's many MB. Per screen.

There's a desire to make it work with macppc, and have the wscons system
only save a text-cell array. But it hasn't happened yet. :-(

Take care,

Bill