Subject: Re: Mac 9150 Server Support ?
To: Bill Hernandez <mbs1@dallas.net>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/09/2000 13:30:10
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Bill Hernandez wrote:

> Good morning...
>
> I have a Mac 9150 (PPC 601 Series) Server that I no longer use a File
> Server, and would like to turn  it into a Web Server/4D server and heard
> about NetBSD this morning, but was disappointed not to find it listed on
> your main web page.
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/index.html
>
> Would you provide me any info that might help. Maybe it is just an
> oversight?

	Not really, AFAICT the CPU support for 601's hasn't been written
into NetBSD yet. Largely due to complications with booting this class of
machine. If memory serves this is a NuBus based machine, which also tacks
on another hurdle in that not much in the way of NuBus support exists in
Macppc. The largest problem is that one needs MacOS in order to boot this
machine since it does not have OpenFirmware as the PCI based PowerMac's
do. The only viable option to booting at this time is the MkLinux booter
application. I have not yet tried it myself, nor do I expect that it will
work. Once we have a functioning booter getting all 601 based PowerMacs
working should be fairly easy. I myself have a 6100, 7100 and 7200
available to do testing on, but thus far just haven't had time. The 9150
is a beast of a machine, it'd be nice to add it (and the rest of the
601's) to our repitour.

	Chris