Subject: Re: New to NetBSD - boot floppy install question
To: burtonr <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: jhergan <jhergan@home.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/08/2000 15:07:28
burtonr

>Fellow listers,
>
>I am new to list and want to get NetBSD up and running on my PB G3
>Wallstreet1 (292) on an MCE expansion bay hard drive. I have had a look
>at the generic NetBSD install instructions and the macppc install
>instructions. Everything seems pretty straight forward except for
>figuring out how to create the boot floppy. I wasn't able to find info on
>what files have to be on the disk(s).
>
>The files currently listed in the floppy directory add up to over 2 MBs.
>How many boot floppies are required and which files are supposed to be on
>which one?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>sincerely,
>Richard Burton
>burtonr@telusplanet.net

It's fairly simple.
Go to ftp.netbsd.org and download the boot.fs file from the 'floppy'
directory.
Also get a copy of SunTar--an app for mac.  You can find it by doing a
search for SunTar or checking tucows or shareware.com.
Then format a floppy as a dos floppy.
Run Suntar.
From the Prefs menu choose 'expert'.  Then from the 'special' menu choose
'overwrite blocks.'
It will eject your dos floppy and as for a test floppy.  Just reinsert
the floppy you formatted.
It will ask which sector to start at:  hit 'return'.
Then choose your boot.fs file when the window appears.
This will make the floppy for booting.
HTH
Jeff