Subject: Re: 0claim failed?
To: jhergan <jhergan@home.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/08/2000 18:16:34
On Sun, Oct 08 2000 at 10:44:43 -0500, jhergan wrote:
> I set the OF on my Performa 6360 with OF 2.0 using BootVariables (because
> Sytem Disk doesn't work on the Performa).  The variables I set are:
> input-device kbd
> output-device screen
> boot-device fd:0
> use-nvramrc true (but I don't know if this is right)
> auto-boot false
> boot-file ofwboot.xcf
I wonder where do you get that from...

> load-base 6c0000
>
> I couldn't find any additional patches for my firmware, but I can say
> that it does not look like Boot Variables added any patches.
>
> Then I reboot into OF with no problems.  And I type:
> boot fd:0,ofwboot.xcf
make that "boot fd:0"

> and various permutations of that command.
> And I get these errors:
> "can't load from this device"
> "claim failed"
This means, you probably have to use a serial console. [Otherwise I get that with
my Umax Apus 3000 as well (same board, same OF as your Performa 6360)].

See http://www.de.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-serial-claim-failed
for more information

> "bad partition number using 0claim failed"
>
> I can hear the floppy drive start to respond, but then I get an error.
> I've also had the machine start spinning the floppy and then
> automatically rebooting into OF with the error "claim failed"
My drive was very picky about the floppy. It didn't

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.