Subject: Re: boot help for a newbie?
To: None <charlie@rubberduck.com,>
From: JHS <jhergan@home.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2000 10:43:04
On Thu, 05 Oct 2000, charlie allom wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, JHS wrote:
>
> > That's what I thought...but I wasn't certain.
>
> i'm never certain.

: )

> > My printenv yields:
> > boot-device ide0/@0:0
> > boot-file  netbsd
> > boot-command  boot
> >
> > So I typed 'boot' and I got this error:
> > boot can't OPEN: ide0/@0:0
> >
> > I thought this was because I needed to set the boot-file to 'ofwboot.xcf' but
> > even that doesn't work.  Did I corrupt my drive when I force-restarted the
> > powerbook?  Or am I still missing something obvious?  Like I said, it worked
>
> i note that it worked directly after you patched your OF. now i remember
> that resetting some models of powerbooks will also flash the PRAM. i dont
> think the PDQ's did this but im not sure.
>
> first check that all the nvram garble is still there. and the env
> 'use-nvram?' is set to 'true'

Hmmm... I think you're onto something here.  I did 'printenv' and I got:
use nvramrc  false  false
nvramrc   [this line was blank]

So does that mean I have to redo the patching?

> if it isn't, you've reset your PRAM somewhere along the line, which is why
> the OF can't find the ide0 device which may only be an alis once the nvram
> has been patched.
>
> did that make sense? i do this when i want to reset my nvram. boot from CD
> into MacOS 9. then mount an appleshared hdd, over the network, that has
> the system disk application. patch, and i dont need to touch my hdd that
> has all the NetBSD files on it.

That's a very clever solution.  Fortunately I have the powerbook networked to
another mac (the one I'm using now which is running SuSE for mac, but set up
as a dual-os machine).  I'll try to re-patch and let you know how it goes.

May as well sneak in another quick question:  are there any good wysiwyg word
processing aps for NetBSD for ppc?  I've been using Apllixware on SuSE and I
need to have a good word processing ap that doesn't require learning a new
language to use.  Can I make applix run on netbsd?

Grateful thanks,
Jeff